Type of Posting: General Announcement
Posting Date: 25-Jan-2019
USP will be proposing changes to the format of the USP–NF in PF 45(3) [May-June], reflecting stakeholder input received through a public survey, Stakeholder Forums, and Project Teams. These changes align with the transition to a fully electronic publishing model for USP publications, including the USP–NF, and solidifying one source for official text. The changes will also allow USP to target resources toward ongoing enhancements to the USP–NF Online.
Beginning in 2020, the USP–NF will transition to publishing three online-only publication updates per year. USP plans to continue publishing accelerated revisions and errata on a monthly basis. There will be no change to publishing dates, official dates associated with scheduled publications, or the six-month implementation period.
Each year a non-official volume of associated revisions and additions to the USP–NF will be available for purchase. This volume is intended to serve as a historical reference document and is not considered official text.
Stakeholder feedback has also resulted in alterations to the proposed USP–NF title change, designed to align with the electronic format. The proposed publication title format is as follows:
USP–NF 2021 Issue 1
USP–NF 2021 Issue 2
USP–NF 2021 Issue 3
USP is postponing this aspect of the proposal and will publish a revised proposal in PF 46(1).
See the table below for details.
|Official Month||Publication Title||Publication Date||Official Date|
|May||USP–NF 2021 Issue 1*||11-01-2020||05-01-2021|
|August||USP–NF 2021 Issue 2||02-01-2021||08-01-2021|
|December||USP–NF 2021 Issue 3||06-01-2021||12-01-2021|
|May||USP–NF 2022 Issue 1||11-01-2021||05-01-2022|
|August||USP–NF 2022 Issue 2||02-01-2022||08-01-2022|
|December||USP–NF 2022 Issue 3||06-01-2022||12-01-2022|
- Non-official volume to include all changed content for a given year (including revision markup) will be available annually following Issue 3
- *Previously would have been titled USP 44–NF 39
The timeline for implementation is as follows:
- June 2019: Last print supplement (second supplement to USP 42–NF 37)
- November 2019: Last print book in current format (USP 43–NF 38)
- February 2020: Starting with the first supplement to USP 43–NF 38, updates published online only (see table above for a full list of publication and official dates)
- Fall of 2021: USP–NF 2021 non-official volume
- November 2020: New publication title format implemented (USP–NF 2021 Issue 1)
USP collected and incorporated user input on this proposal throughout 2018. Should you have any questions, please contact Caroline Martin, Senior Director, Publications (301-816-8521 or email@example.com).